Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

New Treats and Supplements


          I've learned about a couple new supplement items that work well for my herd that I thought you guys might like to learn about. My partner in Burlington found freeze dried krill shrimp in a fish store, she tried them with her herd and they went gaga for them. So we tried them with my group and so far it has gotten a 3/4 hedgie approval rating ha ha ha, it's funny to watch them because they self-anoint with them every time I give them. They have a fairly high protein content (63%) so I only give each hedgie 2 krill a week, too much protein can lead to protein poisoning which is no good. So again this product can be found in some pet stores, exotic pet stores and fish supply stores, it’s intended to be given to carnivorous fish hence why you should be looking in the fish section.
          The second item I discovered was powder baby food, my group was needing some more fibre in their diet. I sprinkle a pinch of this over their food 3-4 times a week and they LOVE it! You can find this stuff in any baby supply isle and it comes in a variety of flavours. This food comes in powder form because it's usually meant to be mixed with water before serving, so it would also be a great way of sneaking fibre into any wet or moist food for the more discerning hedgehogs.
          The great thing about baby foods is they are usually free of preservatives, artificial colouring or flavours. Since it seems to be such a hit with all four hedgehogs, I'll most likely start adding this into my staple food mix to help give it a more balanced nutritional value.



No comments:

Post a Comment